Author Topic: If I were to introduce someone into the Occult...  (Read 755 times)

Moon1ight

• Lord of Smilearchy and Cheerocracy ^_^
    • View Profile
If I were to introduce someone into the Occult...
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:36 pm »
Hi everyone :)

Recently I read this thread on RuneSoup https://runesoup.com/2010/06/the-book-game-its-benefits/
It's about making a list of books that you would give to someone as introduction to some specific type of magick. I immediately though, "But wait, I want to include Websites and such!" So I decided to go ahead and create my own list (with Blackjack and... Blogposts!  ;) ).

I'd love to hear what ressources you have given or would give to someone who is curious and wants to learn.

Here's my list. I'll try to keep the amount of text to read to a minimum.

1. As an introduction, I'd shamelesly recommend this post by myself
http://occultcorpus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27438-chaos-magick-exercise/page__view__findpost__p__164183

2. Next, these two post by some very unusual Satanists -- These explain the Energy-approach to Magick quite well
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/ThreeSteps.html
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/Energy_Meditation.html

3. Then, we need some meditation. The very short chapters on "Exclusive Concentration " and "Inclusive Awareness" in Alan Chapman's "The Camel Rides Again" provide the best information on meditation that I know. The book can be found for free on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/the_camel_rides_again__a_primer_in_magick
 I'd also recomment it in general.

4. And lastly, I'd just add more details on actual Magick with the classical Arjil-Texts:
https://storytellerway.com/2013/02/06/just-effing-magick/
http://occultcorpus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27491-direct-manipulation-class/

I think, with this one can start actually doing the Thing and getting experience and practice. In my "Magick is more like weightlifting than like rocket engineering"-view, practice is actually more important. The theory is just there to get on on the path -- or rather to tell one, that there is an actual path which can be taken.

Edit: Next I'd probably introduce them to the DKMU and Ellis, so they can receive help from the LS-network in their magick and also help the network grow :) I think this post from DBL https://www.dkmu.org/forum/index.php?topic=239.0 , Kiki's awesome Oistar guide and a thread about the LS https://www.dkmu.org/forum/index.php?topic=7.0 would do that well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:55:15 pm by Moon1ight »
"The Assault on Reality lives in you.
This is what you were born to do." -Ahavah Ain Soph

"As far as what I think the DKMU is? It's a promise to never stop fighting against mundanity, to always be injecting the weird into the world" - Timothy Buell

"Put in the work! :)" - Geri

Moon1ight

• View Profile
Re: If I were to introduce someone into the Occult...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:39:57 pm »
So, what if next the question went to Metaphysics? How does Magick work and what's this universe thing anyway? Let alone minds.... Obviously difficult questions  ;)

The resource that was recommended to me and that I would also recommend is the Kybalion. Especially Chapter 5, which argues for the following conclusion: "Following the Principle of Correspondence, we are justified in considering that THE ALL creates the Universe MENTALLY, in a manner akin to the process whereby Man creates Mental Images."  http://www.kybalion.org/kybalion.php?chapter=V (to read the rest, click on the "contents" in the top right corner -- I spent a while looking, probably I'm getting to old for today's webdesign ::) )

In a subgroup on FB, I wrote my interpretation of this, which covers how Magick works in my view and what our relationship with the universe is. So here come my answers, for what it's worth  ;D

By the word "Khaos" I mean "a primordial origin-point, a gaping abyss derived from Greek lore from which the Gods and everything else stepped forth." (Frater Alysyrose) This serves as a name for the Root of all Phenomena.

The Universe is the Thoughts of Khaos (following the Kybalion's "The All" and it's mental creation). The future -- what is not decided yet -- is thus determined by the ongoing thoughts of Khaos. The Root of all Phenomena maintains the Sum of all Phenomena (the Universe) -- hence "Khaos provides" 8)

This concerns everything, including things like the vast amount of space which contains almost nothing, galaxies with no conscious observers etc.

Now comes the twist: We too are such thoughts -- and what's more, we have our own thoughts. Our minds are parts of the Big Mind of Khaos. This means that our thoughts are also its thoughts. So we naturally play a role in determining the future, get a fragment of the decision power so to speak -- and this is my answer to how Magick works  :)

In Magick, we decide on some intent -- "This happens". Now, the more of our mind-fragment's resources we put into this decision -- the more concentration/energy we give it -- the more likely it becomes that the future turns out that way :) This is where Occult research comes into play -- to find out how is this actually to be done.

All minds together create the future states of the Universe, one after the other. Where intents conflict (as with two wizards battling for the last cookie, to use Arjil's example), the outcome with more energy poured into it manifests. (This means that the relatively inflexible "Laws of Nature" must be powered by some pretty large part of "Khaos Undivided", so to speak)

On this view, life is a contest of wills with other similar minds and whatever drives the "physical world". Thus "uncontested" chunks of reality are easier to manipulate -- I can make myself cheerful easily because no one puts energy into wanting me to be sad and it's not hard on the laws of nature. However, I can't just win the lottery, because it's highly contested by other minds and correctly predicting the complicated trajectory of the lottery machine is physically improbable. This is the gradient on which intents fall with regards to difficulty.

However, that does not mean that we have to treat the universe an an enemy from which energy must be wrested. Khaos chose to think of Magickal beings. Thus it wants Magick to work. So one needn't force the energy that surround us everywhere (the elements, prana, whatever) -- one can instead ask it for cooperation. This, I guess, I another meaning of Khaos provides ;) [This point is inspired by a friend's opinion on working with the elements, thanks!]

This view -- to me -- is succinct, explains what we are seeing and "predicts" (alas post-hoc) what we are not seeing. Of course, it totally depends on the heavy premise of "The Universe is the Thoughts of Khaos" :D However, "Everything is mental" seems to be the only way to explain quite a lot of stuff... (Side note: This view also seems nice on Spirits, from Servitors to Gods -- they can simply be separate mind-fragments or (shared?) "subdivisions" of other mind-fragments.)

What do you folks say ;) ?

(Main inspirations for this are Arjil, Alysyrose, Peter Carrol and the Kybalion)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:10:30 am by Moon1ight »

"As far as what I think the DKMU is? It's a promise to never stop fighting against mundanity, to always be injecting the weird into the world" - Timothy Buell

thief_and_a_liar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:09:56 am »
This isn't magic you dimwit.

If you want something in print get all the books by the golden dawn people (regardie, fortune, crowley), then get all of the medieval grimoires and start working with demons.

-thief

thief_and_a_liar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:21:55 am »
Maybe not ALL the books.

The Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie.
Book 4 by Aleister Crowley.
The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune.

Should make a good start to any student.

Then for grimoires it's the Goetia (Lesser Key of Solomon) and the Grimorium Verum.

-thief

Moon1ight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:46:21 am »
Hi Thief  :)

Thanks for your recommendations.
You know, I have a friend who tells me that what I do isn't proper and that I'm limiting myself (I.e. "This isn't magic you dimwit." more politely  ;D ). Instead, I ought to ask the Archangels for Guidance,  become a Lightworker and at all costs avoid associating with Demons. You see the problem with following everyone's advice here  ;)

I think I'll live my way and let you people live yours  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:52:41 am by Moon1ight »

thief_and_a_liar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »
Hi Thief  :)

Thanks for your recommendations.
You know, I have a friend who tells me that what I do isn't proper and that I'm limiting myself (I.e. "This isn't magic you dimwit." more politely  ;D ). Instead, I ought to ask the Archangels for Guidance,  become a Lightworker and at all costs avoid associating with Demons. You see the problem with following everyone's advice here  ;)

I think I'll live my way and let you people live yours  :)

Oh, I wasn't directing it at you. I would think you already conversed with archangels, was a lightworker some time in life, and had read the books I mentioned already.

-thief